Thursday, November 8, 2007

Independent Mobility

... is something that can easily be taken for granted when you have a car or live in a city where you complain if there is more than 3 blocks between various modes of public transportation. It follows that I was in kind of a shock when I realized that the Finn's home, as homey and idyllic as it is, is not within 45 minutes walking distance of anything except other idyllic pieces of expansive (and likely expensive) property. Don't get me wrong. The Finns are great company and willing to anything for a guest, but as a 28 year-old hailing most recently from New York, I didn't feel like I needed to be bothering them every day about getting to work or going to the drug store to get a new razor.

I found the following practical solution at the campus bike shop for rent:
It's been a while since I've used a bike in a non-recreational way, and it's been fun to relive memories from my college days when I was racing to class on my iron pony in less than 3 minutes, catching my pant leg in the front gear at least 3 times en route. My shadow of helmeted biker with backpack that accompanies me on my journey to and from work also reminds me of the shadow I saw for 2 years while serving my mission. I don't feel much older now, strange enough, but that was a long time ago. Good, good, calm memories of long bike rides on the Lord's errand.

Here are some pictures from my commute:

No comments: