Thursday, November 8, 2007

A great weekend

Saturday (11/3) was spent sleeping in, and then taking a trip over to campus to do some work. Some great shots on the way there:

What community would be complete without its own horse park?
... or its own linear accelerator and high-energy particle beam?

...or some very nice hills?


Work. Interesting work. Read here for more about the cool stuff these guys are known for. Well, that's likely to be a pretty one-side link. Look here for a more academic discussion and other related articles.

After finishing the things I needed to at work, I decided to explore the beautiful campus for a bit. I think there were no fewer than 4 weddings competing for the most stunning photo backdrops.

More Pics:
The Quad and some frisbee folks (also, W, the other Finns boarder, said she was out on this lawn at the time this picture was taken. Can't see her, though...)
Me

Trying out for photographer of next year's recruitment brochure.

Unfortunately, this great shot (the chapel where Convocation was held on my first night out here) was broken up by a tough-looking duo of electric bikers (their bikes were electric, not them--although I couldn't be so sure after overhearing their detailed conversation about dynamos and gear ratios).

I had to get a picture of those bikes:

That evening, I went with some folks from the ward here to the new Warren Miller ski film. After watching 14 year-olds traveling the globe becoming famous in stunt snowboarding competitions, and guys my age spending months on end making first tracks down their own private Alaskan peaks, I was in need for some reassurance that I didn't waste my youth doing more homework than truly amazing skiing.

Sunday: Church was good. Finally met one of the girls an NYC friend told me I'm supposed to take out, but she hustled off pretty quickly. Not sure what to make of that.

Afterwards, W and I went back to the ranch and watched an episode of Poirot (one of the few occasions the Finns tube gets turned on). Afterwards, she took a nap and I went out and relaxed on a hammock in the shade of the eucalyptus trees.

While drifiting off to sleep. S.O. (another Palo Alto flash from the past--this time from my life as a Writing Fellow in college) called and wanted to introduce me to a great park. While the Finn's have been my official patrons, S.O. has been an excellent social concierge and proposer of activities for me. It's nice to know someone in the know. The park:



Afterwards, I had dinner with my cousin M.M. and her friends at her cottage of a house (complete with a door that is split in two horizontally, allowing one to open the top half, lean out and shout to your neighbor, and then leave a pie to cool on the lower half--only to be stolen later by one of the local gangs of mischievous youngsters). It was GREAT food and company.

Monday, ... back to work.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Don, These photos are incredible! I'm glad you invested in such a great camera because you really caught the flavor of the school and its architecture. It helps me to see why that part of our country is such a desirable place to live. I'm glad you could be there for a month! Love, Mom