Monday, July 7, 2008

Words of wisdom

Joining several others who have voiced complaints of unexpected side effects from Merk's new Gardasil vaccine (a vaccine against the sexually transmitted subtypes of the HPV virus that cause cervical cancer), a young girl experiences an awakening:

"I just feel let down by the government," Parsons said.

It reminded me of the words of my uncle during his speech at an orientation for me and several other new medical interns who were about to begin work, including rotating through the VA hospital where he administrates:

"My name is G___, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you!"

I try to emulate my uncle's optimism (and sense of humor, if that's possible) and hope I have Ms. Parson's insight into her own autonomy. America needs a little bit of both.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hey - When you gonna post a new post? I have been hoping that you will sometime. :)